Ratings at Dice Hate Me are a little different than most sites that use a 10 or 100-point system. Since I like sticking to themes, I rank games on a 3d6 system – each d6 corresponds to a different aspect of the game, and the 3d6 total represents the overall rating. An 18 is sheer perfection, while a 3 means you should avoid a game like the plague.
A typical ratings box will look like this:
|Offers a bit of a challenge against most opponents, but has some balance issues. Lots of variety and challenge will keep players coming back for more.||Top notch; the art is wonderful and irreverent, and the sculpting on the plastics is superb.||More fun than a barrel of monkeys.|
|Overall score: 14 out of 18|
Here is a breakdown of the 3 elements of each game that I review:
Gameplay/Replay – Basically, this is a wide-open category that reflects the mechanics of the game (if it’s unique or noteworthy) and the possibility that you will want to bring this game out again and again for many years to come.
Components & Theme – This refers to the skill and precision at which the game was put together, and how well those components contribute to an enjoyable theme. A game need not have a hundred well-illustrated counters printed on the thickest cardboard to score high in this category, it simply needs to be elegant, beautiful and enhance the gaming experience.
Fun – This is a very technical category; basically I ask myself “Is this game any fun?” If the answer is “yes,” then the game scores high. If I’d rather poke my eyes out with sharp wooden sticks, it will likely score a 1. Just for reference, I would rather jab splintered toothpicks into my eyeballs than play a game of Bunco. Unless I’m drunk.
All Reviews To Date
- The 2013 Dice Hate Me Holiday Gift Guide
- The State of Games, Episode 55 - The One About BGGCon 2013
- The State of Games, Episode 54 - The One About Your Right to Party
- The State of Games, Episode 53 - The One About The Germans
- The State of Games, Episode 52 - The One About Beer
- The Crowded Table - Shmoecon Edition!
- The State of Games, Episode 51 - The BGG Top 20 and Future of Unpub
- The Dice Hate Me GenCon 2013 Pictorial Wrap-Up
- The State of Games, Episode 50 - The One About GenCon 2013
- Ships Ahoy! A Special Video Preview of Fleet: Arctic Bounty
- The State of Games, Episode 49 - The One About Good Friends and Good Games
- Origins Game Fair 2013 - A Pictorial Recap
- The State of Games, Episode 47 - The One About Origins 2013
- The State of Games, Episode 46 - The One About the Fate of the Galaxy
- The State of Games, Episode 45 — The One About Hobo Pain
- The State of Games, Episode 44 – The One About Crossovers
- The Crowded Table - Late Spring 2013 Edition
- The State of Games, Episode 43 - The One About 20 Questions
- Dino Delight: A video review of Triassic Terror
- Prezcon Pictorial Wrap-up
- The State of Games, Episode 41 - The One About Being Super
- The State of Games, Episode 40 - The One About Unpub 3
- Unpub 3 Pictorial Wrap-up
- The State of Games, Episode 39 - The One About Auld Lang Syne
- Dice Hate Me Game of the Year Awards 2012
- The 2012 Dice Hate Me Holiday Gift Guide
- The State of Games, Episode 38 - The One About a Little "Guy Time"
- Gamers for Cures 24-hour Marathon Pictorial Recap
- SAGCon 2012 Wrap-Up
- Family Adventure Time! The Great Sweeping of Ammowan Guest Review
- Your Own Private Idaho: A Kickstarter Quick-Look at Castle Dice
- Games That Go Bump in the Night
- The State of Games, Episode 37 - The One About the Ghost Fleet and the Haunted Dungeon
- Make this Deal - A Little Devils Guest Review
- The Crowded Table: Fall 2012 Edition
- The State of Games, Episode 36 - The One About the Stronghold
- The State of Games, Episode 35 - The One About Cards With Words
- Goggles Not Included - A Kickstarter Quick-Look at Mars Needs Mechanics
- Everybody Shuffling - A Smash Up Review
- The State of Games, Episode 34 - The One About GenCon, DC and The WBC
- The Crowded Table - Summer 2012 Pre-GenCon Edition
- The State of Games, Episode 33 - The One About The Heartland
- One Hot Slice - A Kickstarter Quick-look at Top This!
- The State of Games, Episode 32 - The One About Culling and Critics
- Ye Olde Meat and Potatoes - A Lyssan Guest Review
- The State of Games, Episode 31 - The One About Origins, Chemistry and The Big Blue Noodle
- The Hunt Is On - A Kickstarter Quick-look at The Legend of the Lost Dutchman
- Venture Cardboard - A Kickstarter Quick-look at Ground Floor
- Feeding Frenzy - A Kickstarter Quick-look at My Happy Farm
- Reason to Rhyme - A Kickstarter Quick-look at Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule!